Home » Services » Powers of Attorney

Powers of Attorney
If you become incapacitated without a power of attorney, a family member has to apply to Court to become your Committee.  This is an expensive and slow process.  If no family member comes forward, the Public Guardian and Trustee is obliged to take over your affairs. It is not a personal service and you do have to pay them.  http://www.trustee.bc.ca/services/adult/personal_care_mgmt.html (see page 10 of this document).

Who should be your attorney?
You can appoint your spouse, adult child, close friend or family member. You should appoint an alternate just in case the person you appoint is ill, absent, or dies before you. Some couples appoint each other and then have a back up document appointing one or more of their children. An attorney’s authority starts from the moment the Power of Attorney is signed, not when a need arises, so it is essential that the person be trustworthy and available. There are some precautions a person can take to prevent it from being used while you are still able to look after your own affairs.

We are also available to assist you if you want to have independent, experienced and personalized service. The Power of Attorney Act was updated in September 2011. If your Power of Attorney is quite old, you may wish to come in to have it updated.

See articles:

Responsibilities of the Attorney under the Power of Attorney

 Advising the Attorney Under the New Legislation

Crimes Against the Elderly : Fraud via the Power of Attorney

Highlights of Changes to Adult Guardianship Laws